The King's Speech

Saturday, March 26, 2011

The movie, ‘The King’s Speech’, is a captivating true story about King George VI who unexpectedly becomes King after his brother’s abdication (look it up) from the throne. He now needs to overcome a debilitating stammer and address his people at a time of impending war against the Nazi. His speech therapist, Lionel Logue, employs very unorthodox methods to help the king find his voice. Upon the climax of the movie, King George (also known as Bertie) is in front of a microphone, nervous, as he is about to speak to the nation. The only person in the room with him is Lionel who tells him, ‘Tell it to me as you would a friend’ and then leads him through the speech.
The Friend, the Holy Spirit whom the Father will send at my request, will make everything plain to you. He will remind you of all the things I have told you. (John 14:26) MSG
In real life, Christians are all like Bertie. We have this important speech we need to make to the nation in a time of spiritual warfare. We need to preach the gospel to all nations (Matt 28:18). However, like Bertie, many of us have a debilitating speech impediment. Ours however is more serious than a stammer. Our speech impediment is fear. We need a speech therapist. We need a friend. Bertie had Lionel. We have the Holy Spirit.
Just like Lionel, the Holy Spirit trains us daily to overcome our speech impediment. We only need to be intentional about overcoming it. It will take hard work and we will have to let go of some things which keep us from fulfilling our duty. Be intentional when discussing the word with other Christians and that will help making speaking to pre-believers easier.
More importantly, like Lionel was in the room alone with Bertie at the time when he needed him the most, the Holy Spirit is there whenever you share the gospel. He is saying, ‘Tell it to me as you would a friend’. He is leading you through the speech. He is telling you what to say. He encourages you all the way.
Rabbit hole alert! Our main weapon against our speech impediment is Love. ‘There is no room in love for fear. Well-formed love banishes fear’ (1 John 4:18) MSG. When you love people, you will quickly overcome fear and you will be preaching the gospel from the roof tops on stereo in no time. Sharing our faith is not about convincing people of anything. It is about telling them about God’s amazing love and grace for imperfect beings like us.
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of my regular readers and those who follow the blog. Please share this on Facebook and Twitter if you like it.
Much Love
Yunam

4 comments:

Wanluv said...

Thanx Unam!! Its so wierd..a seed was planted in my heart about 2 weeks ago and i remember having a Moses moment,"God.. me?" And so im encouraged yet again by the amazing fct that the Holy Spirit is guiding me,encouraging me nd prompting me forward :)
P.S Your writing continues to inspire me :)

Unknown said...

Hey Unam! This is the second blog I read and can't wait to read many more. I have to say you been given the gift of writing. You write from the heart which is the one of the things like. By the way I saw the movie. I found it well directed, witty and encouraging. The movie illustrates how a person can be perceived powerful or gifted but that person has his/her own personal challenges he/she is fighting. And we usually complain about lacking something but God has gifted us enough to shape our character. And yes the Holy Spirit is always there for us.

Anonymous said...

Brillant bro, am proud of you, Wow you actually have a gift and expect to publish sooner than later champ. I love it. Ps.J

peggy said...

I have to say,as much as u may not believe this i am having some trouble in sharing the Gospel wth my loved ones. I find it incredibly easy to share it wth random people or wel,strangers bt I cant seem to be able to share it much with some of my friends. There are specific people in my life,people I pray God would reach bt im not sure i'm making as much impact as i should in their lives. Please help me with prayer people. By the way Unam,this is the first time i'm reading your blog and i will definately read again.

Post a Comment